Friday, February 7, 2014

Secret Shopper at Tecumseh Library


  I decided to go to the Tecumseh Library, which is a branch of the Allen County Public Library,  because it wasn't the library I usually go to and no one will know me.  When I went to the library, I asked the lady at the front desk for a good book to read.  I told her I was interested in fiction.  She showed me to the new books and let me browse.  I saw she had some books by Anne Rice and I wondered if they had any books that her son wrote.  She sent me over to the mystery section and told me to look for myself.  I didn't find what I was looking for, but I browsed the books and found a couple of interesting books; a book from the Supernatural series, and The Reader.  I have the movie The Reader, but haven't watched it yet.  I also asked her to look for a James Rollins book because I am reading one of his books now.  She told me there was two books by this author and where to look.  I looked there and found none.  I also had her look up Perks of a Wallflower and they didn't have it.  I was very disappointed with my experience at this library.  I am glad I live closer to a better library, the Shawnee branch of the Allen County Public Library.  I know a couple of people that work, so I couldn't go there.  My experience has been a positive one at other libraries.    

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you had a bad experience! Was the library extremely busy and/or was she the only one manning the desk? Did she offer to get The Perks of a Wallflower for you through interlibrary loan? At the library where I work it is standard practice if we don't own a book that a patron requests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library was not busy at all. It was snowing, so they may not have had a good day. There was a man working the circulation desk. She didn't offer to get the Perks of a Wallflower through a interlibrary loan. I already got the book at the other library. We can put the books on hold and have them sent to our nearest library.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I had a disappointing experience at the library where I did my secret shopper assignment. I was hoping that the only woman working at the desk the day I visited would be able to assist me with what I was looking for but unfortunately, I did not get one suggestion for a book. I work at the reference desk at a public library and if someone asks me if the library has a particular title, books by an author, etc., I never tell them to just go look up the information in the catalog. I look it up for them at the catalog at my desk and then I take them to the area where the book is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have come to the Aboite Branch...that is where I work!! Seriously though, I am disappointed that you had such a bad experience at Tecumseh. I would like to think that we would not treat a patron like that at my branch. I know that I always try to find what someone is looking for and offer placing a hold if we don't have it. Sorry for your bad experience!! I assure you, we are not all like that.

    ReplyDelete