Saturday, February 1, 2014

Prompt response Week 3

1.  I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton.  I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can't figure out which one comes next.
 I went to NoveList from the Allen County Public Library and put in Laurell K. Hamilton, author in the search bar.  It lists the books in the Anita Blake series.  I then looked at Vampire Hunter and found the first book in the series called guilty pleasures, vol. 1 and went to the fourth book in the series and that is called
Vampire hunter:  laughing corpse, book 2; necromancer.  There are eight books in this series and one is a prequel.  The prequel is called Vampire hunter: The first death.

2.  What have I read recently?  Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer.  I really like the way it was written, you know, the way she used language.  I wouldn't mind something a big faster paced though.
I first put in Barbara Kingslover for the author and found Prodigal Summer.  It said the writing style is descriptive, lush and lyrical.  The tone of the book is romantic and thought-provoking.  I looked under the Title Read-alikes and the author Read-alikes, but I didn't find anything faster paced.  I searched more by checking tone moving and writing style richly detailed.  I found books by Sara Given was at the top of the list.  It said to start with Water for elephants, which is a book that is romantic and engaging.  I wasn't sure if this book was fast-paced enough, so put in fast-paced in the search engine.  I then narrowed in down to fiction, books since 1981 and the writing style: descriptive, lush and lyrical.  I came up with two books: Yellow emperor's and the miniaturist.

3.  I like reading books set in different countries.  I just read one set in China, could you help me find one  in Japan?  No, not modern historical I like it when the author describes it so much it feel like I was there!
I put Japan in the search engine and came up with 1,939 books, so I limited it to historical fiction and came up with 99 books.  I would have to ask what else the person would like in a book.  I also limited the search to a strong sense of place and came up with six books, which are:  The teahouse fire; Blossoms and shadows; The gods of heavenly punishment; Child of vengeance; Office of innocence and Rising sun, falling shadow.

4.  I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it.  Then my dentist said that if I like mysteries I would probably like John Sundford, but was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?
I searched the author Elizabeth George and no results were found.  I put in Well-Schooled in Murder and found it  I see that Well-Schooled in Murder is in a series, so I would suggest other Thomas Lynley mysteries.  The next book in the series is For the sake of Elena.  The top three Read-alikes are: Still Life by Louise Penny; The men with a load of mischief by Martha Grimes and Whose body? by Dorothy Sayers.

5.  My husband has really gotten into zombies lately.  He's already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?
I put in Walking Dead in for the title and it came up with many books.  I must ask, which book your husband read in the series?  because he may want to read other books in the series.  There are 19 volumes in The Walking Dead series.  I also put in the title: World War Z and looked at the Read-alikes.  The top three Read-alikes are:  Oryx and Drake by Margaret Atwood; The gone-away World by Nick Harkaway and Robopocalypse  by Daniel Wilson.  He will like any of these books.

I find books to read by searching Amazon for similar books that I bought before.  I also look at the library and browse the shelves.  In the past I have looked at the local bookstores, but haven't done that lately because I haven't had the time.  I now will use Novelist which is at the local library site.  

2 comments:

  1. Do you browse at the new bookstores or the used ones? It's interesting, sometimes when I'm looking I'll look intentionally at a used book store for some things and a new book store for others. I have occasionally tried to decide if a library is more of a Borders or Half Price Books or some of both. I would tend to think some of both, but more of a Half Price Books than I would like to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like to browse at used book stores. We have a bookstore in Fort Wayne called Hyde brothers and they have so many books you might trip over the books. There is too many books to fit on the shelves. I spent a couple of hours in here before. I also like Half Price Books and I used to go to Borders, but they went out of business. Barnes and Nobles is a great place and they have a great website.

    ReplyDelete